Sugbo News | Posted on Nov. 6 at 5p.m.
The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Cebu approved on Monday the P20-million financial assistance to quake-affected areas in Cotabato and Davao del Sur provinces.
The Cebu Provincial Board passed en masse the resolution authorizing Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia to give financial aid to the quake victims in Makilala, Tulunan, Magsaysay, Kidapawan City and Magpet, all in North Cotabao province and in Bansalan and Digos City in Davao del Sur Province.
The amount will be charged to the Preparedness Fund of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO).
The resolution, which was done at the request of the governor who met earlier in the day Board Members Glenn Anthony Soco, Andrei “Red” Duterte, Jose Mari Salvador, acting Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office chief Wilson Ramos, Provincial Budget Officer Emme Ginguyon and Provincial Treasurer Roy Salubre, agreed that there was an “urgent need to help our fellow Filipinos.”
Garcia, in a press conference, said the province will be distributing the financial assistance equitably to each local government unit depending on the number of families or individuals affected.
“We really considered them as brothers and sisters. For many of them trace their roots back to Cebu. Daghan kaayo nga atong kaigsuonang Sugbuanon nga nangindahay, naningkamot og adto pangita og (we have many Cebuano brothers who have gone to Mindanao to look for a) better life sa Mindanao kaniadto. Mao gani ang ubang lungsod didto ang pangan dunay pupareha sa ato nga mga lungsod (that is why some places there are named after some of our towns here),” she said.
Since October 16 a series of earthquake and aftershocks struck Cotabato and its neighboring provinces including Davao del Norte. The epicenter was recorded in Tulunan, North Cotabato with the first tremor recording a magnitude 6.3 and second tremor at magnitude 6.6. Last October 31, a magnitude 6.5 struck the area again.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office recorded 35,000 families or 178,000 individuals affected by the series of temblors and aftershocks.
The province will give P7 million to Makilala with 20,704 families or 103,520 individuals affected.
Three million pesos each will be given to Tulunan with 3,659 families or 80,295 individuals affected and Magsaysay with 3,215 families or 16,075 individuals affected.
In Kidapawan City and Magpet with over 2,000 families or over 10,000 individuals affected, the province will be giving P2 million each.
Garcia said P1 million will be given to the municipalities of Matanao with 1,300 families or 6,500 individuals affected; Bansalan with 1,100 families or 5,900 individuals affected; and Digos City with 1,020 or 5,600 individuals affected.
Garcia said the province is doing its best to be able to help the victims of the earthquake.
“Ato ning ihatag direkta sa (we will give this directly to the) LGU because they were in the best position to know asa nila magamit atong (where to use our) financial assistance, how they shall use it, and how this can be distributed to those affected,” she added.
The governor is also encouraging well-meaning Cebuanos everyone who would wish to donate to drop their donation at the drop-off center at the Capitol.
On Saturday, November 2, the Capitol has mobilized the “Sugbo Alang sa Mindanao” relief operations.
PDRRMO incoming chief Neil Sanchez earlier said the immediate needs of the residents include bottled water for evacuation centers, food packs, tents, sleeping mats, mosquito nets and hygiene kits.
They can drop off their donations at the designated receiving area near the basketball court at the back of the Capitol.
Garcia said capitol has already made arrangements with the Philippine Coast Guard to ship any donation to Mindanao. (Mylen P. Manto, Sugbo News)