By Marisol Bo-oc | 08:46 AM August 09, 2023
Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has issued an immediate temporary ban on the entry of live hogs, sows, piglets, boar semen, and pork-related products from Bohol province for a period of 60 days after the Department of Agriculture (DA) confirmed the presence of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Pilar town.
“Livestock transport trucks and reefer vans from the province of Bohol, which were issued Cebu Provincial Livestock Transport Passes, in order to carry live hogs and pork-meat products, are banned from entering Cebu for the same period,” Executive Order No. 21 said
Garcia said this recent move is meant to protect Cebu’s P11-billion hog industry.
Bohol Gov. ArisAumentado that the ASF cases in Pilar Bohol had been contained.
“We have a P6-billion hog industry we want to protect,” said Aumentado during the official launching of the Central Visayas Regional Development Plan (RDP) 2023 – 2028 at the Mezzo Hotel, Cebu City.
He issued an executive order on last July 28 banning the entry and exit of hogs, including fresh and frozen pork products, and suspending swine-related activities following the detection of the virus in the town.