By J. Jala | 03:47 PM January 20, 2020
Two children died Sunday night when fire engulfed their house in Tagbilaran City.
Victims were identified as Mary Joy Arayan, 5, and Mary Jade Arayan, 8, both residing at GASANAI in Barangay Cogon, Tagbilaran City.
The older sister, Mary Jane Arayan, 9, survived the fire.
She said they were left in the house with her siblings when the fire occured at around 10 p. m. on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Their mother Maria Reina Arayan was not home at that time.
They used a candle as light since they had no electricity at home.
She said the candle fell into the foam that caused the fire.
The fire broke out and quickly spread since the house was also made of light materials.
Mary Jane said she tried to save her siblings but a galvanized iron sheet fell onto her sisters.
She sustained a minor injury on her left hand from a nail.
Local rescuers discovered that the siblings apparently died from suffocation and got burned.