By BIN Staff | 06:14 PM December 16, 2022
TAGBILARAN CITY—One year has passed but Beatrice Felicio has yet to recover from the pain of losing her husband who died at the height of typhoon Odette (international name: Rai) that hit their community at Barangay Cabatang in Alicia town, Bohol.
Felicio was among the people who visited the grave of their loved ones on Friday, Dec. 16, exactly one year since Odette ravaged Bohol and some areas in the Visayas region.
At least 111 people died and at least 300,000 families were displaced on the onslaught of the typhoon considered one of the fiercest storms that pummeled in the province.
Felicio narrated that she had already fled to Cabatang Elem. School which served as an evacuation center, while her husband Joaquin, 60, was seeking refuge in a small chapel in the barangay. The chapel was damaged by strong winds that hollowblock and a pole hit him that caused his instant death.
In Bohol, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said Odette severely damaged homes, buildings, establishments and government facilities and infrastructure, as well as communication facilities and power lines, all over the province.
Although some families were able to rebuild their houses with the help of non-government organizations (NGOs) and foundations, many survivors continue to appeal for help as they try to rebuild their homes and recover from the devastation.
In Ubay town, the hardest hit, the typhoon displaced hundreds of families.
Some residents still live in makeshift houses in Purok 6 and 7 in Barangay Tapon.
Jimmy Magbanag and his family live in a small makeshift house made from galvanized iron sheets they salvaged after the aftermath.
“Mangayo unta mig tabang kung kinsa ang mutabang namo,” he said.
On Friday’s Capitol Reports, Gov. Aris Aumentado said he was thankful for life and recovery one year after Odette ravaged the province.
He led government agencies, energy and civil society sector in delivering updates on rehabilitation efforts at weekly Capitol Reports.
The governor was joined by Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Officer Dr. Anthony Damalerio, Office of Provincial Social Welfare and Development representative Rhea Damalerio, Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Bohol Team Leader Jimmy Crusio, National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) team led by Engr. Giuseppe Lumaad, and Bohol People’s Council’s Francis Bernard Batoy.
Aumentado reported P100-million aid from former President Digong Duterte distributed in heavily-affected towns of Carlos P. Garcia, Ubay, Loboc, and Talibon as well as the commitment of the National Housing Authority (NHA) of shelter assistance for 87,000 households.
He also enjoined Boholanos to continue to unite and support each other moving forward.
Cebu-Bohol Interconnection Project on track The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) reported that the ongoing Cebu-Bohol Interconnection Project (CBIP) is on track as far as target completion for November 2023 is concerned.
NGCP Engineering and Construction of CBIP representative Engr. Ian Husain said despite challenges of implementation the project is on track.
He reported that the project is 55.21% completed which comprises the Submarine Cable and Dumanjog-Argao Transmission Line.
Aumentado expressed readiness to provide support should NGCP need it throughout the implementation process.
The CBIP will ensure power redundancy, reliability and resiliency, with the existing Leyte-Bohol Interconnection in the province.
The Civil Society Organization (CSO) community expressed gratitude for the consistent support of the provincial government.
Francis Bernard Batoy of the Bohol People’s Council said the NGO/CSO sector complemented government relief and rehabilitation efforts post-Typhoon Odette.
Two organizations namely Bangon Bohol 2 and Bohol Relief Operations along with international NGOs came to Bohol’s aid in response to the devastation from Typhoon Odette.
His organization, BIDEF in partnership with Save the Children is also currently implementing al livelihood and social protection project in Candijay, Pitogo, Ubay and Bien-Unido which will benefit 400 families.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) through Bohol Team Leader Jimmy Crusio said the agency provided 412,000 food packs, distributed hygiene kits, turned over financial assistance to 125,000 households and implemented P32.2-million worth of livelihood aid on top of regular programs.
The Office of the Provincial Social Welfare and Development (OPSWD) for its part was able to distribute 295,346 food packs from donations and LGU share, assisted 1,193 families in 53 evacuation centers, and implemented P445,000 in Cash for Work program. With reports from Helen Castano and PiMO.