Ella Montalban | June 16, 2022

TAGBILARAN CITY – The 12-wheeler truck that figured in the collapse of one portion of the Borja Bridge in Barangay Alegria, Catigbian town was carrying a load that was way beyond the bridge’s capacity.

This was the findings revealed by the report from the Capitol’s Provincial Engineering Office released this afternoon.

“The said dump truck is a 12-wheeler I-beam truck with a weight estimate of 8 tons and loaded with 24 cubic meter wet sand with a weight estimate of at least 38.4 tons or a total weight of 46.4 tons,” wrote Camilo Gasatan, provincial engineer, in his report submitted to Governor Arthur Yap.

Gasatan further wrote that based from this, they concluded that the collapse was caused by overloading.

PHOTO COURTESY OF Bohol Provincial Government

Borja Bridge’s capacity could only accommodate up to 20 tons.

The Catigbian Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office revealed that they had earlier closed one portion of the two-way bridge after they noted a one-inch gap in its abutment.

Borja Bridge incurred damage from the magnitude 7.2 earthquake back in 2013.

The Provincial Engineering Office has advised motorists to take the Alegria-Baang road then left to Liboron road then to Triple Union road in the said town as an alternative route.

Motorists would now travel an additional 15-20 minutes from their usual travel time. ###

By Bohol Island News

Your reliable source of news and content in the island and the rest of Central Visayas and Mindanao.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.