BOHOL WEATHER

Bohol Island News

Your source of reliable news and content in the island.

Stranded Boholanos in Cebu: We want to go home

By J. Jala and Marisol Bo-oc | 04:17 PM March 26, 2020
Some of the stranded Boholanos went to the provincial Capitol of Cebu on Wednesday, March 25, to ask for help. Contributed Photo

At least 200 Boholanos stranded in Cebu appealed for help to get past COVID-19 travel blockades to return home.

In a Facebook group chat (GC) “Bol-anon Stranded sa Cebu,” they said they are stuck in Cebu since the government started enforcing movement restrictions last March 16 in Cebu and Bohol provinces to contain the disease.

Most of them are workers. Some are students. Others are applicants. Some are on-job trainings.

They wanted to go home to Bohol since they no longer have funds to buy their daily needs.

Arlene (family name withheld), a call center agent, said that she lost her job when her company closed due to lockdown of their mother company in the USA.

She said staying in Cebu with no family, no job and no provisions left her devastated.

Some of the stranded Boholanos went to the provincial Capitol of Cebu on Wednesday, March 25, to ask for help. Contributed Photo

“Kinsa may mutabang namo diri sa Cebu nga dili man mi taga-diri. Mao gusto mi mouli nalang dinha sa Bohol. Help us,” she added.

A few were desperate to hire a motorbanca to bring them to Bohol but back off after they learned that authorities are guarding the seas for unwanted visitors.

Out of desperation, some of them went to the provincial Capitol of Cebu on Wednesday, March 25, to ask for help. However, they received a non-committal answer from Cebu authorities.

They appealed to the provincial government of Bohol thru Gov. Arthur Yap and Representatives Edgar Chatto, Erico Aristotle Aumentado and Alexie Tutor to rescue them.

They said they are willing to undergo the 14-day quarantine in Bohol if necessary.

“Maayo nalang maka-quarantine sa Bohol kay sa diri sa Cebu nga maglisud mi pangita og pagkaon,” said Cherry Mae.

Last week, at least 161 stranded Boholanos in Bato, Leyte were brought home through “mercy mission.” They arrived in Bohol last March 22. They are now in Ubay town for a strict 14-day quarantine.

Governor Art Yap and the provincial capitol have yet to issue a statement on the matter.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: