By J. Jala and Marisol Bo-oc, in Cebu| 12:54 AM March 27, 2020
Stranded Boholanos who are still in Cebu may not be able to go home yet.
In a live radio interview over local radio station dyLA based in Cebu City, Bohol Gov. Arthur Yap says an existing “No Sail Policy” prevents him from doing it.
“Gustohon man nako nga paulion sila, dili man ko makamandar sa Philippine Coast Guard nga itugot ang pagbiyahe. That is the problem right now,” he explained.
He also cited the absence of an isolation facility that can accommodate these Boholanos.
He added that under the rules set by the national government as per recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF), those who will be coming home from other provinces should be placed on community quarantine inside a central isolation center which Bohol currently doesn’t have.
Earlier, the Bohol Provincial Government announced that they have identified the old Tagbilaran City airport as one of the isolation facilities that they will utilize as quarantine facility for those with suspected coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
However, Yap stressed that it will take one to two weeks before they can complete the renovation of the facility.
ASSISTANCE TO STRANDED BOHOLANOS IN OTHER PROVINCES
But this doesn’t mean that they cannot provide assistance to them.
He asked them to instruct their family members to go to their city/municipal social welfare and development office or the provincial social welfare and development office to avail of the assistance.
In the radio interview, Yap said this is not only limited to those stranded in Cebu but as well as in other provinces in Negros Oriental, Siquijor, and Leyte.
There were least 200 Boholanos that were reportedly stranded in Cebu who made an appeal on social media to allow them to come home.
The government, in its bid to prevent the possible spread of Covid-19, started enforcing movement restrictions last March 16 in Cebu and Bohol provinces.
Most of those stranded are workers. Some are students. Others are applicants. Some are on-the-job trainees.
They wanted to go home to Bohol since they no longer have funds to buy their daily needs. Some stranded workers said they lost their jobs after the closure of some companies affected by Covid-19.
Last week, at least 161 stranded Boholanos in Bato, Leyte were brought home through a “mercy mission”.
They arrived in Bohol last March 22.
Now, they are still in Ubay town for a strict 14-day quarantine.