By Bohol Island News Staff | Posted on Feb. 4, 2020 at 7:02 a.m.

Silliman University will temporarily make adjustments for the holding of its classes as a precaution over the 2019 – novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (ARD).

In an announcement posted on its official Facebook page on Monday, it said that that it will imolement an alternative learning scheme starting tomorrow, Feb. 5 for preschool to senior high school.

This would mean that academic activities and assessment will continue at home, based on the learning plan that will be provided to the pupils.

The advisory also said that they will again issue another advisory whether to resume classes on Feb. 10 should the situation improve. However, if it won’t the alternative learning scheme will continue.

“During the alternative learning scheme period, the teachers shall continue to observe duty hours to entertain queries from parents, conduct parent conferences, compute grades and prepare the necessary materials,” it said.

Regular classes shall continue for the tertiary and graduate levels until further notice.

“However, students, faculty and staff are advised to observe the necessary precautionary measures as previously prescribed by the University in its January 23, 24 and 31 memos based on WHO and DOH guidelines,” the advisory added.

Meanwhile, school activities were also affected.

The scheduled Faculty and Staff Day and the University Honors Day are postponed to later dates.

All extracurricular programs, including college week activities are cancelled. This covers all programs and activities in and out of campus for the month of February.

The University’s participation in the Central Visayas Regional Athletics Association Meet this month is withdrawn. All teams are instructed to suspend all practices.

“Reiterating our previous memos, those with cold or flu-like symptoms are advised to immediately see their doctor or visit the University Clinic,” the advisory read.

“Finally, observe proper hygiene, stay healthy, eat nutritious food, drink lots of water and monitor updates from WHO, DOH and other authorities,” it concluded.

Three persons, who came in contact with the Chinese couple who tested positive of the 2019-nCoV ARD, are now in the hospital as part of the contact tracing of the Department of Health (DOH).

They will undergo tests to also check their conditions.

The couple had a history of travel in Cebu and Dumaguete City from Jan. 21 – Jan. 25.

The boyfriend of the first Chinese woman that was first reported positive died last Saturday after he also tested positive.

By Bohol Island News

Your reliable source of news and content in the island and the rest of Central Visayas and Mindanao.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.