Staff Report | Posted on April 4, 2021 at 8:27pm
About 30 churches in Bohol designated as Jubilee churches formally opened its Jubilee Doors today, April 4.
In the Diocese of Tagbilaran, Bishop Alberto Uy led the opening at the St. Joseph the Worker Cathedral.
Uy, who also presided the mass following the opening, highlighted the importance of this occasion.
“By opening the Jubilee Door, we are formally launching the celebration of the 5th centenary of the arrival of Christianity in our country,” he said in his homily.
He added that the opening also coincides with the 80th year since the erection of the Diocese of Tagbilaran.
“Kining giablihan nga Jubilee Door, magtimaan usab sa atong pagpangandam nga atong gisugdan paghimo alang sa dakong kasaulogan sa ika-80 kasumaran sa katukoran sa Diocese sa Tagbilaran,” the bishop also said.
Pope Francis has granted a jubilee year with the inherent plenary indulgence for the 500th year anniversary of the arrival of Christianity in the Philippines.
The pope issued a decree on Feb. 25 to the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP).
Under the said decree, the faithfuls can receive plenary indulgence when they make a devotional pilgrimage to one of the designated “Jubilee Churches” until April 22, 2022.
An indulgence is the remission of the temporal punishment due to sins, which have already been forgiven.
When the faithful make the pilgrimage, they have to meet the usual conditions of going to confession, receiving the Eucharist, and praying for the intentions of the pope.
Pilgrims are also asked to pray “for the fidelity of the Filipino people to their Christian calling, for the increase of priestly and religious vocations and for the defense of the family, concluding with the Lord’s Prayer, the profession of faith, and an invocation to the Blessed Virgin Mary”.
In the Philippines, there are 537 pilgrimage churches for the quincentennial celebration.
For a complete list of the Jubilee Churches in the Philippines, click here.
In Bohol province, there are 25 Jubilee Churches listed under the Diocese of Tagbilaran and 5 Jubilee Churches under the Dioces of Talibon.
Diocese of Tagbilaran
1. St Joseph the Worker Cathedral (Sarmiento St., Tagbilaran City, Bohol)
2. Barangay sang Birhen Shrine-Parish Church (Cogon District, Tagbilaran City, Bohol)
3. Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Church (Gov. Celestino Gallares St., Poblacion II, Tagbilaran City, Bohol)
4. St Jude Thaddeus Shrine-Parish Church (Mansasa District, Tagbilaran City, Bohol)
5. Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Church (Taloto District,Tagbilaran City, Bohol)
6. Santísima Trinidad Parish Church (Manga District, Tagbilaran City)
7. Birhen sang Barangay Parish Church (Lindaville, Tagbilaran City)
8. Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish Church (Poblacion, Lila, Bohol)
9. Santo Niño Parish Church (Poblacion, Valencia, Bohol)
10. Assumption of Our Lady Shrine-Parish Church (Poblacion, Dauis, Bohol)
11. San Agustín Parish Church (Poblacion, Panglao, Bohol)
12. Nuestra Señora del Villar Parish Church (Poblacion, Corella, Bohol)
13. Nuestra Señora de la Luz Parish Church (Poblacion, Loón, Bohol)
14. Santa Cruz Parish Church – San Vicente Ferrer Shrine (Poblacion, Maribojoc, Bohol)
15. Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish Church (Poblacion, Antequera, Bohol)
16. Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish Church (Poblacion, Balilihan, Bohol)
17. Inmaculada Concepción Parish Church (Poblacion, Catigbian, Bohol)
18. Santo Niño Parish Church (Poblacion, Cortes, Bohol)
19. San Pedro Apostol Parish Church (Poblacion, Loboc, Bohol)
20. Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Church (Poblacion, Sevilla, Bohol)
21. St James the Great Parish Church (Poblacion, Batuan, Bohol)
22. San Vicente Ferrer Parish Church, (Poblacion, Calape, Bohol)
23. San Agustín Parish Church (Poblacion, Sagbayan, Bohol)
24. San Isidro Labrador Parish Church (Poblacion, Tubigon, Bohol)
25. San Juan Bautista Parish Church (Poblacion, Garcia- Hernandez, Bohol)
Diocese of Talibon
1. Most Holy Trinity Cathedral (Talibon, Bohol)
2. St Paul the Apostle Parish Church (Inabanga, Bohol)
3. St Anthony the Abbot Parish Church (Carmen, Bohol)
4. Immaculate Conception Parish Church (Duero, Bohol)
5. St Michael the Archangel Parish Church (Jagna, Bohol)
PLENARY INDULGENCE FOR THE SICK, ELDERLY
According to CBCP News, the gift of plenary indulegnce is also extended to the sick, the elderly, and all those who for legitimate reasons are unable to leave their homes amid the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.
“They too can obtain the plenary indulgence if they are detached from any sin and have the intentions of fulfilling the three usual conditions as soon as possible— “they join themselves spiritually to the celebrations, offering their prayers and sufferings, or the inconvenience of one’s own life to the merciful God through Mary.”
CBCP added that the Apostolic Penitentiary asked priests to pastorally facilitate the celebration of the Sacrament of Penance and the administration of holy communion to the sick with a willing and generous spirit.