By Bohol Island News Staff | 11:55 AM December 25, 2019
Gerwin Yudelmo with his friends. Photo: Yudelmo FB

Gerwin Yudelmo, a call center agent in Cebu City, had traveled 18 hours to be home with his family on Christmas Day.

He was already set to travel after his shift on Monday night. But he was worried when all trips in Central Visayas were cancelled on Tuesday, Dec. 24 due to tropical storm “Ursula” that stranded many passengers in parts of the Visayas.

“Lami ihilak,” said Yudelmo when he learned that his trip was cancelled.

Determined to go home, Yudelmo checked boat schedules and places.After his shift, he contacted some friends and agreed to meet at 3 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 24 at Country Mall to try their luck hoping they could go home.

“When we arrived at Pier 1, we saw a lot of stranded passengers with the same hope as ours,” he said.

They went to Pier 3 by 4 a.m. to check for boat trips. He saw and took videos of people old and young sleeping in the street waiting for weather update.By 5:30 a.m. they went to Pasil fish port.

At 6 a.m., they checked if there was a small banca that could ferry them home. But there was none.

“We decided to went home and accept the fact that this is another add on of our list of Christmas days away from our family and this thought made me cry,” said Yudelmo.

On their way home by around 7 a.m., while scrolling his Facebook, he saw a post with the Visayas map with color coding of the affected areas. He noticed that Tagbilaran City, Loon and Argao, Cebu were not affected.

“I quickly dialed the Tubigon Coast Guard contact number and asked for the Argao Coast Guard direct number to confirm. And I got the confirmation I am praying for,” he said.

They hurriedly went to Cebu South Bus Terminal and got on board the bus that leaves by 7:30 a.m. They arrived at 9:50 a.m. at Argao Wharf.

They enlisted themselves since it was first come, first serve.

At 1:15 p.m., the vessel from Tagbilaran arrived. But they were advised to wait for Pagasa update until 2 p.m.

A vessel from Loon, Bohol arrived an hour after.

By 2:30 p.m., their names in the list were called one by one to pay their ticket and they boarded.

Yudelmo and his friends finally boarded by 3 p.m.

The voyage started at 4 p.m.

“It was a smooth sailing. The sea was very calm,” he said.

He arrived at Tagbilaran at 7 p.m.

“When we docked at Tagbilaran Port it was an accomplished feeling. All passengers clapped their hands and greeted Merry Christmas to each other,” Yudelmo said.

He directly went to Integrated Bus Terminal in Dao for the van to bring him home to Inabanga town.He said he was very tired from the trip but spending Christmas with his family makes things easy.

“No storm can stop me. No storm can break us,” he said.

“Thank you Lord for a safe voyage. To be with my FAMILY, this is the greatest gift gyud this Christmas,” he added.

By Bohol Island News

Your reliable source of news and content in the island and the rest of Central Visayas and Mindanao.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: