People who love shellfish may have to refrain from eating it, especially if these are taken from the coastal waters of Tagbilaran City and Dauis town following an alert for red tide toxins that was raised there.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) has issued the warning last Friday, August 9.
According to Shellfish Bulletin No. 14, their laboratory tests confirmed that shellfish there turned up for “paralytic shellfish poison beyond the regulatory limit”.
“All types of shellfish and alamang (Acetes sp.) from these areas are not safe for human consumption,” BFAR said on its bulletin.
However, fish, squids, shrimps, and crabs are safe to eat “provided that they are fresh and washed thoroughly, and internal organs such as gills and intestines are removed before cooking”.
Other areas identified by BFAR under the red tide alert are Puerto Princesa Bay, Palawan, San Pedro, Maqueda, Irong-irong, Silanga and Cambatutay Bays in Western Samar, and Lianga Bay in Surigao del Sur.
See the bulletin here: